The holidays can be a difficult time for those in recovery for a number of reasons. One reason is that the holidays often involve social gatherings and events that revolve around alcohol, which can be triggering for those in recovery. Additionally, the holidays can be a time of increased stress and pressure, which can be challenging for those in recovery to manage. Finally, the holidays can be a time of loneliness and isolation for those who are struggling with addiction, as they may feel disconnected from their loved ones and unable to fully participate in holiday traditions.
Here is a small holiday “Sober Survival Guide” that might help you stay on your path to recovery:
- Have a plan: Plan ahead for how you will handle situations that may be difficult for you. This might include having a non-alcoholic drink in hand at social events, or arranging to leave early if you start to feel overwhelmed.
- Seek support: Surround yourself with supportive people who understand your recovery and are willing to help you stay sober. This might include friends, family members, or a sponsor.
- Take care of yourself: Make sure to prioritize self-care during the holidays. This might include getting enough sleep, eating well, and finding time to relax and unwind.
- Find healthy ways to cope with stress: The holidays can be a stressful time, so it’s important to find healthy ways to cope with any additional stress you may be feeling. This might include exercising, meditating, or talking to a therapist.
- Remember your why: When the going gets tough, remind yourself of your reasons for staying sober. This might include the desire to be healthy and present for your loved ones, or to make a positive change in your life.
- Reach out for help if you need it: If you are struggling to stay sober during the holidays, don’t be afraid to reach out for help. This might include talking to your sponsor, attending a support group meeting, or seeking the guidance of a therapist.
We hope these tips can help you so you can stay sober during the holidays. We are sure you can do it!